Mission San Francisco de Asís (aka Mission Delores)

Most Mission chapels have been destroyed by earthquakes, fires and floods.  But not this one.   Mission Delores, finished in 1791, is the original and even survived the great 1906 earthquake and fire. This makes it the oldest building in San Francisco.

The Mission is in an intensely urban area and very little is left except for the adobe chapel and cemetery.  The Mission Dolores Basilica, shown in this photograph, towers over the adobe chapel and was constructed in 1918.

Stepping inside the intact chapel is like being transported back to 1791.  The most striking feature is the ceiling which is decorated with multi-colored chevron patterns painted by the Ohlone Indians using vegetable-based paints.

The grave of Lieutenant Jose Joaquin Moraga is on the floor of the mission. Moraga was second in command of the 1776 de Anza expedition and was left in charge of building the Presidio of San Francisco.  Click the images below to enlarge.

Outside the small museum is the historic cemetery where burials took place throughout the 1800’s.  There are 3 victims of the Vigilantes and some notables as well: Don Luis Arguello, first governor of California and Don Francisco de Haro, first mayor of San Francisco.   

Also in the cemetery is a reconstruction of an Ohlone home, made of tule reeds.  A sign says that this has been erected “in the memory of 5700 Native Americans who are buried in the Mission cemetery”.

Don’t miss the amazing stained glass windows next door in Mission Dolores Basilica.  All 21 missions are depicted including Fr. Palou and Fr. Serra.  The windows were designed by the Meyer Company from Munich, Germany in the 1920’s.

Click on the images below to enlarge.