
Most missions have had to relocate from their original site due to flooding or earthquakes or other problems. This Mission still stands on its original site above San Luis Creek in the historic center of downtown San Luis Obispo.
The founding date of “1772” is inscribed under the roof gable and above the belfry containing three huge church bells. The red clay tiles on the roof were first used here and later became the standard at the other missions.


You enter the museum through the gift shop – this wing was once the Mission’s convent. There are number of rooms with displays of Chumash Indian artifacts, mission furniture, religious relics and vestments, and a nice collection of historic photographs.
The mission garden is next to the museum and gift shop on one side, and the church on the other. Trees, roses and a variety of other plants line the path.


A brick path and benches are in the shade of a large arbor covered with grape leaves and clusters of red and white grapes.
Click on the photos below to enlarge.






